Becoming Woman




                I
Today
as I kiss my son, and he blush
and we laugh joyfully,
I think of my own eighth year
when nobody kissed me
as a kid, yet
held me close,
drew me in to in-between spaces
and loved me
as a woman
              
                  II
The man I married asks me,
“Do you know?
How ugly you look when you hiss at your son?”
and he reminds,
“He is a man and you a woman,
so better arrest your anger.”

I am at once, jealous
of my son’s manhood at seven
and wonder, if
a woman in labor
is equally ugly
with her facial muscles rigid
choked throat and
shivering patience.

                 III

That day, after we made love
I opened my body to the winds

Sweat, saliva and semen
were tattooed over my skin,
taking forms of animal shaped constellations
and ushering in, the fate of the Medusa

I roam over the skies, and
roll around my bedroom floor
unwashed,
for an eternity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now that I move on

Tunes you play for me

The images that come to you on a Sunday morning